Saturday, April 17, 2010

What's Happenin' with my Boys

Elliot

E turned 4 months old this week. (If you're wondering, I never call him "Boo.") He continues to be sweet as pie and our easiest baby yet. He gave up nursing this month and is throwing back the bottles like a champ. He had a month-long, glorious run of 7-9 hours of straight night-time sleep back in February, but after that reclaimed his night-time feedings (to my dismay). The little fella is such a chubster, I knew for sure he didn't need that feeding; but when it's your third, you kinda roll with the punches, so I acquiesced. Especially since he weaned kinda early, I thought that maybe after he had a chance to get completely used to bottles he'd start sleeping longer at night. And I think that might be what's happening! He's slept 7-9 hours the last four nights. But who's counting?

If you've ever met Elliot (at least not when he's in dire need of a nap), you know that he is all smiles and loves people! Seriously, he just loves to be talked to, tickled and generally amused by anyone who will accommodate him. And he's a big-time snuggler. On our recent trip back home from Louisville, Elliot was wanting out of his car seat big time. He was just so fed up with being in the car. (We all were.) He had just had a bottle and was due for some sleep but just would not give in. He didn't want his pacifier, and he didn't want a bottle. Finally, I just plugged that paci in, and grabbed on firmly to his hand. He wrapped his chubby little hand around my finger and was promptly in sleepy-land.

At his last weigh-in, Elliot weighed over 17 pounds. He doesn't like to be on his back for play-time, but would rather be in the bumbo seat or exer-saucer. He mostly loves to gnaw on his fists and smile at people.



Simon

Simon is at such a fun age - easily entertained, adorable as all get-out, starting to talk so much and try new words, still takes a nap and goes to bed easily. Almost everybody who's around Simon for very long comments on his beautiful eyelashes. They seem 6 inches long! He's got such beautiful eyes and a smile that will make your heart melt like a Popsicle on the Fourth of July. And get him whatever he wants. :)

Simon is all boy with the energy of 2 boys. He loves to play outside; and the dirtier he gets, the better! He just came out of a stage where he was an extremely picky eater. Honestly, I didn't know how he wasn't completely skin and bones! Yet, he enjoyed eating dirt and sand; on more than one occasion, I saw him shovel a spoon full of sand into his mouth. (Nasty.) He loves cars, trains, planes, and any kind of ball. But most of all he loves his blankie & pac. (pacifier) I try to tell him that he's a big boy, but he tells me that he needs his pac. (I'm not looking forward to the upcoming chore of taking it away and am avoiding it at all costs.)

Over the last few months, Simon's vocabulary and speech has quadrupled! I love hearing his sweet little voice. He's so good at saying "please" and "no thank you." And sometimes when he's given something, he follows "thank you" with "Have a nice day." It's the cutest thing ever.

Sim (I say it, "Sime" but to spell it that way looks too much like "Slime.") is also Mr. Mischievous. When he thinks he's doing something he might get in trouble for, he does it with a sneaky smile and one eye looking over his shoulder. (I realize this is not entirely funny.) And to my utter chagrin, he constantly pulls chairs into the kitchen to try to get what he wants.


Luke

What can I say about Luke? Luke is Luke. He is many things. He finds entertainment and amusement in the oddest things. This is hilarious to witness and sometimes exasperating to deal with on a busy day. When I'm trying to get the house to resemble some order, he is pulling out blankets and pillows and filling up bags and mini-suitcases to play ship or camping or whatever else he can think of. He likes arts & crafts and notebooks and papers and lists. And he loves to play outside, filling up buckets with rocks, sticks and leaves, riding his bike or having races. He likes playing the wii with his dad or Play Station with his uncle. (He also loves to watch tv, but we won't elaborate on that. :)

Luke thinks anything about Ancient Egypt is really cool, so I've picked up a few books about Egypt that I've found at thrift stores. To my surprise, this fearful and worrisome son of mine thinks the mummification process (which involves a "brain hook") is very interesting and no big deal! He also likes books that explain just about anything a kid might be curious about. Last week I came home with a book called 83 1/2 Things that Changed the World, and I now know the history of the toilet. See how much I'd miss if I weren't a mom?

Last night before bed, something reminded Luke about Haiti. (We've been praying for Haiti since the earthquake in January.)

Luke: Can we talk about Haiti? (He says this about random topics. It's like he wants to have a little meeting.)

Me: Sure. Like what, specifically?

Luke: Well, like, maybe we should buy that CD.

Me: What CD?

Luke: You know. That CD we saw on tv. Maybe like 100 people will buy the CD and lots of money can go to Haiti. Maybe even 100 dollars! (It's so funny how little concept of money he has.)


Chris

When I call Chris one of "my boys," I don't mean to imply that I have take care of him and clean up his messes and boss him around (although sometimes I find myself doing those things!). I guess it's just how I think of our family - me and all these boys. :) Chris is graduating in a few very short weeks!!! On some level, I don't think I really grasp what all that really means; things have been so busy, I haven't really had a chance to think about it. I think I'd better start thinking of having a big party to celebrate! In case you don't already know, he'll be getting a PhD in New Testament Studies from Wheaton College Graduate School.

On another level, I completely grasp what all this means because Chris has worked incredibly hard to get to this place! He would be quick to tell you that it has been entirely a work of God's grace in his life, and I would say that too.

Chris doesn't really have any work left for his degree but never lacks for something to do. He's already starting to scratch the surface of his next big writing project and works on things like papers for ETS & SBL, book reviews for various publications and, oh, also looking for a job! This last item is something that we have spent much prayer, time and emotion in over the last 5 months. God is faithful in loving and caring for us, and we know that he will provide the exact job that He has for Chris.

5 comments:

Karis said...

Fun to read about your blessings! Great family picture too. That's always a treat when everyone is looking!

Karen said...

Cute, cute, CUTE pics of the boys! Fun to read of them, too.

But what about the update on their mom? :)

joan patz said...

I always enjoy your writings You have to keep these as a journal, it is easy to forget. I love you and what can I do help with the celebration for Chris.
Have a great day! As note on the boys mom - she is amazing,she is loving, teachable, great teacher,great wife and friend, clean, organized, a great cook, creative, smart, talented musically playing in church (I miss her music in our home)she loves the Lord her God and Savior and trusts him which means pushing her emotional being aside to seek and rest in him. Of course she is a great daughter. I love you Katie.

Katie said...

Sweet Mom, thank you for those words. They mean the most coming from you.

We'll have to talk about a party for Chris. :)

cranny + b said...

Katie,
I don't know if you will even remember me, but I worked with you at Camp Chetek for a summer ( maybe two? ).

I came across your blog today and it was so neat to see your family. Your boys are adorable and sound so cute!