Monday, January 17, 2011

What a dirty, rotten trick to play . . .


If you love to eat at Chick-fil-A, you HAVE to watch this video. It is so right on! It's the kind of song you listen to and say, "exactly!!!" after every line. My favorite part is when he sings about it being Sunday. When we lived in Louisville, I don't know HOW many times I said after church, "Let's go to Chick-fil-A!" Wait 10 seconds. "O no, it's SUNDAY!" :)

Well, much to my glee, a Chick-fil-A opened in Wheaton a few months ago! Unfortunately, it's on the other side of Wheaton so takes us about 15 minutes to get there. Fortunately though, it's on the other side of Wheaton, so takes us about 15 minutes to get there, thus we don't go every other day. We would surely be temped to do so if it were closer!

The Bruno van is beating a path to Chic-fil-A though. We went there on Simon's and Elliot's birthdays, went through the drive through several times, had a playdate with friends there, and just last week helped a friend celebrate her birthday there. (Chick-fil-A's not just for kids!) We got there around 1:00 and stayed until almost 4! We get our use of the play room, that's for sure! And I cannot say enough good things about the service at Chick-fil-A. The employees are so friendly and helpful and proactive. They make things so much easier for a mom who's there solo with her kids - getting your refills (or anything else you need), handing out balloons and stuffed cows left and right, etc.

Well, last week as we plodded back to our van, me carrying E and a million bags and Luke and Simon towing their balloons (plus some), we were all pretty tuckered out. Both of the van's side doors were open, and I was buckling E into his seat, while Simon sat next to him waiting for me to buckle him up. Then Simon cried out, "Where's my balloon!?!?!" I closed my eyes and said, "Lord have mercy!" and I looked up to the heavens, and there was Simon's dark blue balloon, blissfully floating to freedom. (Believe it or not, I don't think we've ever lost a balloon to the skies.)

I went around to Simon, and he had the most horrified, pitiful expression on his face. And then he proceeded to go into the most heartfelt, devastated cry EVER! O man, I was pulling all the tricks I could out of my hat. The balloon is dancing in the sky! It's having so much fun! You can have another balloon! We have extra!!! The balloon will see all of the other lost balloons in the sky, and they'll have lots of fun! I stopped just short of telling him that the balloon went to balloon heaven. I really don't know what came over me.

Well, I better run. Gotta warm up my singing voice. Kids, get in the van so we can go there today . . .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Girl, you and I lead parallel lives! Ditto to all your great compliments of Chick-fil-a and their amazing staff. I've been there several times with the 3 kids and the staff is SO helpful and kind. They bring me things, take my trash away, refill my drink and make my heart happy!

Clive lost a balloon too -- when he cried his sad (and LOUD) cry we hustled back inside and grabbed another one. Crisis averted!