Thursday, February 08, 2007

Flushed Away


No this is not a review about the movie Flushed Away. I wish it were. I so wish it were.
Luke has done some crazy things in his 2 and 1/2 years of life. He's taken things apart, scattering them everywhere. He's stripped down to nothing in his crib, one time (when he was pretty little) taking off his diaper and distributing the contents all over the place (including in his mouth). He's done some pretty frustrating things, like ripping books to shreds in his crib; and that was only a few weeks ago. But this time, his curiosity and the terrible twos got the best of him. You guessed it. He flushed my cell phone down the toilet. And what's worse is, it went! It's gone. Flushed away.
Chris and I were both in the room, and Chris asked Luke to hand me my cell phone. The little bugger decided to put it in a drawer instead. I was preoccupied with Wheel of Fortune, but noted where he put it so I wouldn't be searching high and low for it later on. Then, all of a sudden, Luke ran into the bathroom and flushed the toilet quickly. Time froze; Chris and I looked at each other and rushed to the bathroom. He didn't do what I think he just did, did he?
We went and searched the drawer where the phone had been minutes before. Nothing. Chris started calling my number, and we waited in vain to hear it. It was gone forever. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. I certainly didn't want Luke to think the situation was funny. And certainly some sort of discipline was in order. I took Luke into the kitchen, knelt down in front of him and asked, Luke, did you put Mommy's phone in the toilet? And in his sweetest, most angelic voice he answered yes. Now, how in the world am I supposed to keep a straight face? Somehow I managed and tried to convey the seriousness of putting things in the toilet. I could tell that Luke was upset about what he had done. He kept saying in his most concerned and worried voice, Where's Mommy's phone? Where's Mommy's phone? Kids. What boring lives we would lead without them. So, any of you phone friends of mine, you'll have to call Chris' cell to get a hold of me during the next week. SIM cards are back-ordered, and it will take 5-7 days for us to get one.
Apparently, mine isn't the first cell phone to be flushed down a toilet. Click here to read another guy's story. It sounds like he had a hard time accepting that his phone was gone; he went through quite a bit of trouble trying to get it back. Though I have to admit, in my desperation I stuck my hand up the toilet and took a plunger to it. Obviously to no avail.
I had to chuckle this morning when I was on the phone with my sister Janelle. We both had noisy kids in the background, and our conversation was frequently interrupted. Janelle cut me off mid-sentence and said (in an exasperated tone) Preston, no! You threw it behind the piano! Now it's gone forever! I begged to differ. Actually, she could get it back. It's not really gone forever. Now, if he'd flushed it down the toilet, then it would be gone forever.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny, Lukie has that little glint in his eyes I wonder where he got it from. Let me guess! Could it be from his mother.
Mother

Katie said...

Mom,

You checked my blog AND commented! Thank you. I miss you. It's funny that you always say "Mother" in your comments - people probably think we're the stuffy sort of people who call you mother. :) I like it though. It makes me laugh. Love you mother.

Cummings Family said...

Great story, Katie! Although I must admit I enjoy hearing it much more from your end than if Isaac been the one doing the flushing... gotta go, I think I better go put my phone up somewhere high RIGHT NOW!

S said...

Little kids are so fast. Your turn your head for one second, and then your entire purse is dumped out, or your phone is flushed down the toilet! Sorry. If it makes you feel any better. I once dropped mine in the toilet while trying to clean and talk on the phone :) and it did the same amount of damage. Once those things get wet, they and the SIM cards are ruined forever! The worst part is that you lose all those phone numbers. When you get the new one, INSIST that they use Chris' SIM card to import into your new phone. We have Cingular too and it's possible, and it will save you from having to reenter all the numbers.

the johnson crew said...

nanner, that is such a funny story. oh wow, so funny. jason thought it was funny too. what a bummer.

you are lucky that mom checks your blog! i think it is hard to get into mine. oh well.

well, i miss you.

janelle

Unknown said...

Oh my, what a funny story! What was going through his head?!? Little ones do the weirdest things. I guess you can least be thankful it didn't back up your toilet. :)

Reads said...

Wow, I think maybe you could win money from a magazine for that story! I have to admit that in Audrey's short lifetime, I have quickly learned life before children was soo boring. What did we do for entertainment??

Joyce's Ramblings said...

Oh, He is YOUR son for sure. But how can you not get upset as funny as it is? I'm sure years from now you will still be able to tell the story and get laughs. Tonight when he is asleep and the house is quiet you will enjoy the memory. Thats when you have the "joys of motherhood."

brokeontwizzlers said...

that is hilarious! mom was telling me about it after she was on the phone with you the other night. it just makes you wonder what he was thinking. the little stinker. oh, i miss him so much though. he's so fun to babysit. i can't wait to see you guys again. we love you.
-april

undergroundcrowds said...

"for entertainment"?
-you read other crazy stories about kids! of course.

Anonymous said...

Oh Katie, what a darling little guy! I am so wide - smiled right now, my face hurts! I hear ya my life is pretty boring w/out children & I long for the day that a situation like that will occur w/ me. I'm looking forward to it; maybe not but still.

Take care & miss ya so much.
Robin Malmin

Katie said...

Hey Robin! How are you? Hope everything's good. I enjoyed your Christmas letter. Thank you! I'll call sometime soon and we'll catch up. (after I get a cell phone, that is!) Say hi to Lisa and everyone for me!