Friday, February 09, 2007

Happy Groundhog's Day!

Yes, yes, I know that this post is a week late. Last Friday was, in fact, Groundhog Day and also my birthday. Luke and I had a pretty profitable morning, getting some things done around the house. For my birthday, my awesome mother-in-law, Kim, took us out to lunch. Since it was my day, I got to pick the place; so we met at Olga's. I've been loving their snackers and Swiss cheese lately. Chris met us there too.

Now, rewind to the night before. I had something going on at church that Chris wasn't involved in, so Luke spent the evening with Daddy. The two had some "errands to run" (a.k.a. buying me a birthday present). So, Friday morning when I went into Lukie's room to get him, I said to him Did you and Daddy go to the store last night? Yeah! What did you buy for Mommy? A game! Where's Mommy's game? Where's Mommy's present? Oops. I so did not intend on pulling the cat out the bag. Luke was too willing; I didn't realize he would remember. We're talking about a pretty smart 2 year old though. I laughed so hard; I was so caught off guard that he actually answered my question. Of course, I was not sure that he did, in fact, get me a game for my birthday. I decided to wait until after I opened the present to tell Chris about my conversation with Luke.

Chris brought the presents with him to Olga's because Luke was going home with Grandma to spend the afternoon and night. And sure enough, when I opened Luke's present, I was delighted to find that he had bought me Othello - a game that I enjoyed playing over New Year's. Luke also got me a beautiful card - quite elegant and grown up, and probably not a card that I would even pick out for my mom. Chris said that Luke picked that one out at the store and would not be swayed from his decision. Chris showed him several childish or funny cards to get me; but Luke told him they were silly and he would get me this one. This kid's a character, I tell ya.

Though I wasn't exactly surprised by Lukie's gift, Chris really surprised me with reservations at the Dearborn Inn for the night! (He also gave me the 3rd season of Everybody Loves Raymond.) Chris took the afternoon off and we enjoyed a movie, dinner and the elegance of the Dearborn Inn.

Saturday evening, Chris' mom had some of the fam over for pizza and birthday cake (the cake was amazing, by the way!). I felt very spoiled this year on my birthday. Chris' family always make me feel so loved, and my mom, grandma and aunt sent me packages filled with some nice "active wear;" also,with the money I got for my birthday, I was able to buy some new bedding.














7 comments:

the johnson crew said...

oh that lukie is a rascal! what a dolly too. so funny that he had his own idea of what kind of card to give you too.

i am glad you had a nice birthday and that is awesome that chris and his family made it so special for you. you are so blessed.

i love you dear katie. happy birthday.

janelle

the johnson crew said...

hey uncle cwisth (chris) you are sthilly (Silly) looket lukie. i misth lukie. mommy i need to see lukie wight now! mommy i need to see lukie.

hap birtday auntie nanner!

LOVE PAUL!

Heather said...

Happy Birthday Katie!!! Looks and sounds like you had a wonderful day!!! I love birthday's and celebrating them with family!!

Unknown said...

So how old did you turn this year? That's adorable about Luke's personality in picking out such a serious card and giving away the present surprise. :) How awesome that you got to spend some quality time with Chris! Happy belated birthday!

brokeontwizzlers said...

auhh...those pictures are so cute. luke looks like he had so much fun on your birthday with the balloons, candles, and cards. That's so sweet that he was so opinionated in picking out your card for you. he sure is growing up. i love you guys.
-april

undergroundcrowds said...

"Silly?" oh my goodness, he is quite the mature one, huh?

Katie Barker said...

Happy Birthday Katie. Glad you had such a special weekend!