Tuesday, October 06, 2009

E.B. White is Good



Wilber had already decided how he would carry the egg sac - there was only
one way possible. He carefully took the little bundle in his mouth and
held it there on top of his tongue. He remembered what Charlotte had
told him - that the sac was waterproof and strong. It felt funny on
his tongue and made him drool a bit. And of course he couldn't say
anything. But as he was being shoved into the crate, he looked up at
Charlotte and gave her a wink. She knew he was saying good-bye in the
only way he could. And she knew her children were
safe.


"Good-bye!" she whispered. Then she summoned all her strength and
waved one of her front legs at him.


She never moved again. Next day, as the Ferris wheel was being taken
apart and the race horses were being loaded into vans and the entertainers were
packing up their belongings and driving away in their trailers, Charlotte
died. The Fair Grounds were soon deserted. The sheds and buildings
were empty and forlorn. The infield was littered with bottles and
trash. Nobody, of the hundreds of people that had visited the Fair, knew
that a grey spider had played the most important part of all. No one was
with her when she died.



I had to start laughing at myself so I would stop crying and just read the words to Luke at bedtime tonight. This is my first adult-reading of Charlotte's Web by E. B. White. Even if I weren't pregnant, I'm pretty sure I would've felt the same and had a hard time reading for my tears.


BTW, read this to your child! Luke is five and LOVED this book. We read the whole thing in 4 nights. Next up: Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. (I'm looking forward to revisiting this old favorite of mine!)

What books are your kids' favorites?

2 comments:

Jenny said...

My second grade teacher read this to us and cried like a baby. It made quite an impact! What a great book, though! I love 5 Little Peppers, too. Can't wait for Aaron's attention span to get a teensy bit longer so we can read things without pictures. Ha, ha.

jeileenbaylor said...

i LOVE this book! I used to read it to my students - can't wait to read it to Maddy ;)