Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Happy Birthday Baby Boy


It's hard to believe that a whole year has passed since our baby boy Elliot Calvin was born. My labor and delivery with him certainly did not go how I had expected or hoped. Somehow, each of my 3 boys' birth stories have been different. Elliot's birth story involved a lot of waiting, some pain, and, alas, a beloved epidural. I had been in the hospital an entire 24 hours before he was born! I threw a few mini temper tantrums, mostly to myself. And I listened to a lot of music and sermons on my iPod. I vaguely recall Chris renting a movie from Red Box, but don't ask me what it was.

I was so frustrated that things were not going according to my plan. Things were taking so LONG! Progress was not being made. Time was being wasted. So I thought. But, looking back on it now, I realize that was a foretaste of the testing we would experience throughout the following year. That night in the hospital, and pretty much all of 2010, did not go how I hoped, how I expected, the way I thought best. Most times, even the immediate future was completely unknown, leaving me with lots of questions, no answers and too many fears and doubts. 2010 might be the year I remember as the time when I really got to put the rubber to the road when it comes to my faith in a sovereign and all-wise God who is 100% for me. I admit, I asked questions that made me feel a little guilty even thinking them.

Even in the midst of what, to us, was certainly suffering, we realized how blessed we were in many ways. Our 3 boys were beautiful and healthy. We were not living out of a hospital, fighting terminal illness. We had a roof over our heads, family who loved us and helped us out, and above all, we reminded ourselves that our biggest problems has be solved: our problem of our sin through our Rescuer, Jesus. Even then, all that was easier to say than really believe, but through the grace of God, we had confidence and hope in Jesus.

So, Elliot Calvin, amid this stressful and difficult year, you have been a faithful source of joy, blessing and comfort. You have blessed your momma with your easy-going nature. Your smiles, laughter and happiness have infected our family. And your loving and affectionate nature capture the hearts of everyone who loves you. You are most definitely (almost) 100% pure sweetness. I love you!























2 comments:

the johnson crew said...

happy birthday sweet elliot. i love you!

joan patz said...

Yes, Sweet Elliott, you have been a joy, a good baby, now turning into that toddler look. God is so good. Pappie and Nonnie love you so much! I hope you had fun blowing out your candle. Love Nonnie and Pappie