Friday, April 02, 2010

Bad Blogger

Happy Good Friday, to the few and faithful who read this badly neglected blog. (More likely, you are just surprised when you find a new post from me in your Reader.) We drove to Michigan Thursday afternoon to spend an extended weekend with Chris' family. The weather has been absolutely fabulous. The boys have sneaked out the door to play at every opportunity they've had, and Chris and I enjoyed going to the Good Friday service at our church here in MI.

I was just reading Suzanne ponder about the different types of blogs there are in this blogging world we pretend to live in. :) I agree with her about the types she likes & doesn't like. I think I'm fairly certain that my blog doesn't give the impression that my life as a wife, mommy, blogger is rosy, cheery and free of sticky counters and pee on the toilet seat. :) Actually, if I'm not blogging much, it's a sure sign that there's lots going on in my life, and I'm probably just too overwhelmed with other stuff to post pictures of my adorable boys or write creative and witty posts.

I began blogging when Luke was barely 1 year old. We were living in our duplex on Longview Ave in Lousiville, next door to my dear friend Julie, (whom I love and miss!). Our life was pretty calm and simple. Chris worked lots of late nights at Starbucks, and it was often just Luke, me and the computer (and Luke was often sleeping). I remember blogging about my pink faced darling - and how shocked I was by motherhood. I ranted about the perceived injustices against my sweet southern neighbor across the street as I watched this 91 year old woman be neglected by family that lived a few blocks away.

So, I guess I could say I've been in a blogging funk for, oh, a couple of years! :) I think this season of my life just doesn't afford me the time I'd like to write and blog and all that jazz. Sometimes I am amazed at other moms and all of the projects, crafts, and activities they blog about! I'm at that stage with a baby (and 2 older kids) where all I can handle is keeping food in our tummies, clean clothes on our backs and a not-too-disgusting bathroom. Some day I'll be back in earnest, but for a while, I'll probably just pop in now and then with a few pictures, an update and a howdy.

I do plan to blog soon about all that God is doing in our family. Lots of new things are on the horizon for our family, and I can't wait to tell you about them! :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, dear,

I hear you on the blogging funk. I seem to go between extremes -- blogging a ton or not blogging for weeks. Right now I'm on a blogging high! I'm guessing that will change with the arrival of baby #3 in a few weeks.

I'm afraid I have a tendency to post all the highlights of our family life instead of being real and honest. A trait I wish came more naturally to me but I'm afraid my pride is alive and well most days.

Enjoy the time with your in-laws! Can't wait to hear what the next step is for you and your family! :)

Katie said...

Al - I was going to say, I think you're a great blogger and give lots of great posts to read! You also astound me w your ambition and energy - sewing, special April Fools menus, etc. :).

Joyce's Ramblings said...

Criket, Hi there. Hope you have a great Easter holiday. Knowing what it means to me I really celebrate this holiday. Joyce

Kelly Glupker said...

I just read Suzanne's post and left this comment.

I understand and can relate to your feelings regarding the different kinds of blogs. I've learned that I can't please everyone in the blogging world. I have some friends who think that if you post about your blessings and joys in life than your bragging. And I have other friends who think that those who try to be transparent and share their struggles are either overly dramatic, complaining or trying to sound super-spiritual. It's so silly for people to take offense to a blog. Everyone has their own reasons for blogging and if someone doesn't like a particular blog they don't have to read it.

Katie,
I've missed your posts! I know you're busy, but I do look forward to reading what you have to say when you find the time to say it. You're a great writer!

Katie said...

Awe, Kelly, thanks! I do enjoy writing. . . Also, I told Chris that you guys went to some of the Tigers' spring training in FL. He was so jealous! :)

and you're right about not taking offense at blogs - whatever the style or tone. I think just the season and situation of my life right now is not too condusive to blogging. Someday I'll be irritating everyone with all my blogging about all my great projects, well-behaved kids and eloquent posts. :)

Tricia said...

Thanks for the post. I always enjoy hearing your thoughts. So thankful that God is 100% for us!

Karis said...

I have become a bad blogger too but am trying to get back into it 15 minutes at a time. I get overwhelmed when I am so far "behind" and don't know where to start. If I start on the now of life, will I ever go back to the things I really want to post about from the last months so I will remember them? The ironic thing is that I don't do anything and that accomplishes nothing.

The thing I miss about blogging the most is it helps me process things. I think through words instead of thinking and then putting it into words. My husband is the opposite. Both have good and bad aspects. :-)

And I too am amazed at all the things other moms do with their kids and the meals they make and the crafty things they do and... I feel so ordinary but yet I have decided that if I allow myself to do the comparing thing, I have to stop reading blogs. :-)